The Monaco Historic Grand Prix 2012 was held 11-13 May on the 3.34 km Monaco Grand Prix Circuit. The biennial Monaco Historics is considered as one of the top historic track events, as classic grand prix and sports cars race on the same track as the modern Formula One cars competing in the upcoming 70th Monaco Grand Prix, held May 27th.
Organized by the Automobile Club de Monaco, the 8th Monaco Historics was comprised of seven races, each tailored to provide spectators and participants the opportunity to relive the motorsport event that started on 14th April 1929. Practice and qualifying sessions for the seven race groups took place on Friday 11th and Saturday 12th May and the races were held on Sunday 13th May. The races were 10 laps each, or a maximum of 30 minutes, with 15 laps or a maximum of 45 minutes for the Formula One, 3-litre car races.
The Monaco Historics was open, on invitation, to cars as defined by Appendix K of the FIA International Sporting Code. Competitors provided the FIA Historic Technical Passport. Cars must be in conformity with technical and safety norms as defined in the FIA International Sporting Code and particularly its appendix K. Nearly 300 applications were submitted to the Selection Committee, of which approximately 225 were accepted.
A feature of the 2012 race weekend was the Credit Suisse Historic Racing Forum, which saw former F1 drivers Jochen Mass and Emanuele Pirro join historic racers Alain de Cadenet and Duncan Dayton in a discussion. The hour-long session covered a wide range of topics comparing modern and old racetracks, the corporate nature of today’s F1 world against that of yesteryear, and the regimes, diets and personalities of what many consider F1’s golden era, the 1970s, with today’s super-professionalism.
On track, historic racing enthusiasts were treated to excellent racing as cars from a pre-1952 class right up to the pre-1985 class took to the track in front of large crowds.
Photographer Tim Scott was on hand to document the 2012 Monaco Historic Grand Prix, offering the following 450 pictures that capture the essence of this prestigious historic motorsport event. To see more from Tim, visit fluidimages.co.uk.
Monaco Historic Grand Prix 2012 – Picture Gallery (click image for larger photo)
Monaco Historic Grand Prix 2012 – Race Results
Race A – Pre-1952 Voiturettes and Grand Prix Cars
1. 1938 ERA Type D – Julian Bronson, Great Britain
2. 1936 ERA Type B – Paddins Dowling, Republic of Ireland
3. 1935 ERA Type B – Michael Gans, Switzerland
Race B – Pre-1961 Grand Prix Cars and Formula 2
1. 1959 Cooper T51 – Roger Wills, Great Britain
2. 1958 BRM P25 – Gary Pearson, Great Britain
3. 1960 BRM P48 – Barrie Baxter, Great Britain
Race C – Pre-1953 Sports Cars and Prototypes
1. 1952 Jaguar C-Type – Alex Buncombe, Great Britain
2. 1952 Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica Mk2 – John Ure, Great Britain
3. 1952 Jaguar C-Type – Carlos Monteverde, Great Britain
Race D – Pre-1966, Rear-engined Formula 1
1. 1962 Lotus 25 – Andy Middlehurst, Great Britain
2. 1963 Cooper T66 – Sidney Hoole, Great Britain
3. 1962 Lotus 24 – Paul Drayson, Great Britain
Race E – Pre-1973 3.0-litre Formula 1 cars
1. 1970 Brabham BT33 – Duncan Dayton, USA
2. 1971 March 711 – Michael Fitzgerald, USA
3. 1970 March 701 Andrew Smith, Great Britain
Race F – 1973-78 3.0-litre Formula 1 cars
1. 1977 Hesketh 308E – Michael Lyons, Great Britain
2. 1977 McLaren M26 – Bobby Verdon-Roe, Great Britain
3. 1974 Lola T370 – Mauro Pane, Italy
Race G – Pre-1985 Formula 3
1. 1978 Lola T670 – Ben Barker, Great Britain
2. 1984 Ralt RT3 – Matteo Marzotto, Italy
3. 1981 Martini Mk34 – Paolo Barilla, Italy