Mecum Auctions held its annual Bloomington Gold Corvette auction on June 24-25, 2011, in St. Charles, Illinois, resulting in total gross sales (excluding buyer’s premium) of $5.8 million.
Headlining the Mecum Bloomington Gold Corvette auction 2011 was a collection of 23 Black Corvettes ranging from 1954-1969 with at least one example from each year. On Thursday afternoon, the collection turned heads through downtown St. Charles on the way to Pheasant Run Resort in a police escorted parade. With heavy interest and heated bidding on Saturday morning, the collection, offered at No Reserve, hammered for an aggregate of $1.65 Million.
The top sale of the weekend was a rare 1971 Corvette ZR2 Convertible that sold for $410,000 (hammer price). One of two ZR2 convertibles produced, this Corvette is documented with the original tank sticker, which confirms a build date of mid-May 1971 – the latest known build date for an LS6 Corvette – making this the last ZR2 built and the last of all first generation LS6-powered vehicles built by Chevrolet.
Mecum Bloomington Gold Corvette Auction 2011 – Top Ten Results (all sales reflect hammer prices)
1. 1971 Corvette ZR2 Convertible 454/425 HP (Lot S99) at $410,000
2. 1958 Corvette Convertible 283/250 HP (Lot S68) at $142,500
3. 1967 Corvette Convertible 427/435 HP (Lot S76) at $132,500
4. 1967 Corvette Convertible 427/400 HP (Lot S115) at $115,000
5. 1958 Corvette Convertible 283/270 HP (Lot S90) at $110,000
6. 1965 Corvette Coupe 327/375 HP (Lot S35) at $110,000
7. 1966 Corvette Convertible 427/425 HP (Lot S87) at $105,000
8. 1962 Corvette Convertible 327/360 HP (Lot S123) at $100,000
9. 1958 Corvette Convertible 283/270 HP (Lot S22) at $97,000
10. 1957 Corvette Convertible 283/245 HP (Lot S85) at $96,000
Up next for Mecum Auctions is the 17th Annual Millers at Milwaukee Vintage Indy Car Event, where they will auction motors, parts and memorabilia from the Collection of David Uihlein Sr. on July 9, 2011 at the Milwaukee Mile Oval Track, Wisconsin State Fair Park. For more information or to pre-register to bid, visit www.Mecum.com or call 815.568.8888.