The Bonhams Quail Lodge 2013 Auction was held Friday, August 16th on the grounds of the Quail Lodge in Carmel Valley, California, resulting in nearly $33 million in total sales and an 89% sell-through rate.
Held in connection with the Quail Motorsport Gathering, the 16th annual Bonhams sale held during Monterey Classic Car Week featured a strong consignment of 90 vehicles. The top result at the 2013 Bonhams sale went to the 1931 Bentley 4.5-Liter Supercharged Le Mans racer that made $4,647,500, a new record for a production blower Bentley. Offered from the Charles R.J. Noble Collection, the Bentley was sold to a private European buyer after spirited round of bidding in the salesroom and on the telephones.
Additional notable results included the one-off 1954 New York Auto Show, 1953 Ferrari 250 Europa Coupe by Vignale that sold for $2,805,000, the highly original Car and Driver test car 1962 Shelby AC Cobra from the Stan Hallinan Collection that brought $2,068,000, a new record for the model and the 1952 Earls Court Motor Show and 1953 Sebring 12 Hours, 1952 Frazer-Nash Le Mans MkII that sold for $1,001,000, a new record for the marque.
Overall, 10 cars sold for more than $1-million with several new world records achieved. Additional records achieved for marque models include Austin-Healey 3000, Lamborghini Countach, Lancia B24S Spider America, Lotus 22 and a Mercedes-Benz Bus.
More than $1.6-million was realized for the automobilia section, always a popular attraction at Bonhams’ sales, with a Ferrari 625 LM 2.5-Liter 4-cylinder engine selling for $326,500 and a rare 1925 Lalique Comete glass mascot making $120,100.
“We achieved outstanding results for exceptional motorcars and demonstrated once again the strength of the highest end of the market,” said Bonhams Group CEO Malcolm Barber. “Our international team was on site servicing a clientele that spans the globe, and whether it’s making records this month in California or last month in England, the Bonhams motoring group, as market leaders, is one of the finest anywhere.”
Bonhams Quail Lodge 2013 – Top Ten Auction Results
1. 1931 Bentley 4.5-Litre Supercharged Le Mans Roadster – $4,647,500
2. 1953 Ferrari 250 Europa Vignale Coupe – $2,805,000
3. 1963 Shelby Cobra 260 Roadster – $2,068,000
4. 1963 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster – $1,430,000
5. 1958 Lister-Chevrolet Knobbly Roadster – $1,430,000
6. 1960 Ferrari 250 GT Pininfarina Series II Cabriolet – $1,375,000
7. 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe – $1,100,000
8. 1910 Mercedes 45hp 4-Seat Tourabout Phaeton – $1,100,000
9. 1965 Ferrari 275 GTS Spyder – $1,045,000
10. 1952 Frazer-Nash Le Mans Replica Mk II Roadster – $1,001,000