The MGA’s looks harken back to MG designer Sid Enever’s one-off, envelope body that he created for an MG TD to run in the 1951 24 Hours of Le Mans by privateer George Phillips. Gone were the separate fenders that had been part of MG style in all the previous T-series cars.
Later, a prototype was created and shown to the chairman of BMC, Leonard Lord. At the time, Lord had inked a deal with Donald Healey to produce his cars, so he turned down the idea of this more modern MG. But slipping sales of the existing models eventually changed his mind.