Cunningham C4R, Lotus 49 on Display at Watkins Glen
John Fitch races through the streets of Watkins Glen during practice laps before the 1952 Grand Prix. Fitch is driving a Cunningham C4R, which is now on display at the International Motor Racing Research Center at Watkins Glen. It is on loan from the Collier Automotive Museum in Naples, Fla. through July (photo from the International Motor Racing Research Center Collections).
The International Motor Racing Research Center at Watkins Glen is welcoming two highly distinctive and historic racecars to the Center this year. A rare Cunningham C4R has begun a four-month stay at the Center, with its arrival on March 14. The C4R was the most successful of the American racecars designed by Briggs Cunningham. The model debuted at Watkins Glen in 1952.
On June 5, Briggs Cunningham III, son of the racing legend, will speak at the Center about his father and his signature cars. He will be joined for the 1p.m. talk by John Fitch, one of the original drivers with the successful Cunningham team. The C4R is owned by the Collier Automotive Museum in Naples, Fla. It will be on loan to the Center for display through the end of July.
The Lotus 49 driven by Jochen Rindt to victory at the U.S. Grand Prix at Watkins Glen in 1969 arrives next at the Center, to remain on display through the end of October. The win at The Glen was the first Formula 1 victory for Rindt, who would tragically earn the 1970 World Championship posthumously.
The Lotus and Rindt’s career will be celebrated at special activities during the SVRA vintage racing weekend during September 10–12. Among the events will be a dinner at which Nina Rindt, Jochen’s widow, will join drivers, mechanics, photographers, journalists and enthusiasts of the late 1960s will share memories. Anyone interested in attending the dinner should contact Joe Willenpart at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
The Lotus also will be the centerpiece of the Center’s annual Open House, planned for October 2nd.
The International Motor Racing Research Center is located at 610 S. Decatur St., Watkins Glen. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday. For information, visit www.racingarchives.org, or call (607) 535-9044.