The Mecum Auctions Original Spring Classic 2014 sale was held May 13-18 at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis, resulting in $40,360,815 in total sales and a 64 percent sell-through rate. Of the 1,465 cars that crossed the block, 937 hammered sold over the six-day auction.
The newly renovated Indiana State Fairgrounds Coliseum served as the auction arena with seating for both bidders and spectators alike. Similar to the display setup that debuted at Mecum’s Kissimmee auction, a staging area adjacent to the auction block allowed bidders to easily flow back and forth from upcoming cars to the bidding floor.
In addition to the sale of muscle car, classics also had a presence and some notable exchanges were made over the course of the 2014 Mecum Indy event. Among them was a restored 1931 Cadillac V-12 Roadster (Lot S163) that sold for $215,000, and a 1935 Cadillac 355D Convertible (Lot S116.1) which hammered for $156,000. Also of note, a Bid Goes On sale was made of a 1930 Duesenberg Model J Torpedo Phaeton at $1.25 million.
The top sale made on the auction block in Indy was claimed by a 1963 Shelby 289 Cobra Roadster, CSX2135 (Lot S134), which hammered at $885,000. As one of the first Cobras to employ rack and pinion steering, this car was used as a demonstrator to promote the new feature. The second seat in top sales was occupied by a 1963 Pontiac Catalina Super Duty Swiss Cheese (Lot S158), the most famous of 14 cars built. Selling in the Bid Goes On (post block) department at $530,000, the car boasts the title of NHRA C/Stock record holder and presents in fully restored condition, finished as original in Frost Silver with as-raced lettering. Rounding out the top three, the 1,300-original-mile 1968 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro SS (Lot S152) with documented race pedigree brought a sale price of $320,000.
Mecum Original Spring Classic 2014 – Top Ten Auction Results (all sales reflect hammer prices):
1. 1963 Shelby 289 Cobra Roadster, CSX2135 (Lot S134) – $885,000
2. 1963 Pontiac Catalina Swiss Cheese (Lot S158) – $530,000
3. 1968 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro SS (Lot S152) – $320,000
4. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Resto Mod (Lot S150) – $270,000
5. 1969 Dodge Hemi Charger 500 (Lot S135) – $270,000
6. 1968 Ford Shelby GT500KR Convertible (Lot S97.1) – $267,500
7. 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (Lot S185) – $260,000
8. 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot S167) – $255,000
9. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot F248) – $237,500
10. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle LS6 Convertible (Lot S130) – $235,000
Mecum’s next classic and collector car auction will be its inaugural Seattle event this June 13-14 with an anticipated 600-car lineup headlined by a 1971 Plymouth Hemi ’Cuda Convertible (Lot S95) and a 1967 Chevrolet Corvette L88 Coupe (Lot S113). For more details on an upcoming auction, to consign a vehicle or to register as a bidder, visit Mecum.com or call (262) 275-5050.