The Porsche 910 was a purpose built race car based on the Porsche 906. The main difference to the 906 is the use of 13 inch wheels and tyres as in Formula 1, plus a single central nut instead of the 5 nuts as in a road car. This made the car not suitable for street use, but it saved time during the pit stops. Overall, the 910 was lighter, shorter, quicker and more nimble than the 906.
The Porsche 910 was first entered in mid 1966, starting with the hill climb from Sierre to Crans-Montana in Switzerland. As engines, either the reliable 2000cc 6-cylinder with 200 hp or the 2200cc 8-cylinder with up to 270 hp were used.
The 910 was raced for about two years by the factory, and quite successful during that time. The main class rivals, the Ferrari Dino 206P, were mostly beaten now, but overall victories on fast tracks against the more powerful Ford GT40 and Ferrari Prototypes were still not hope for – yet. On twistier ones like the Targa Florio, another victory was expected though, and the 910s dutifully delivered a 1-2-3 win in 1967.
At the 1000km Nurburgring in 1967, as fleet of 6 factory cars were entered in an attempt to score the first overall win in Porsche’s home event. Two of the three 8-cylinders broke, and the remaining one finished 4th. The three 6-cylinders won 1-2-3, though, giving Porsche its first outright win in a third major event of the World Sportscar Championship for Porsche, after the 1956 Targa Florio and the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1960.
In hill climbing, the career of the short and light open-top 910 “Bergspyder” version with its 8-cylinder continued, winning the 1967 and 1968 European championships. At the hill climb of Ollon-Villars, which counted towards the World Sportscar Championship in 1967, the 910 even scored a 1-2, with Gerhard Mitter and Rolf Stommelen beating Herbert Mand his big V12-Ferrari P.
strong>1967 Porsche 910-6 For Sale
Details:Seller Jan Luehn does not list an asking price. Car is located in Germany.
Seller Comments: “Chassis number 026 was built in 1967 as a works car and was first entered at the ADAC 1000 km race at the Nurburgring in 1967, driven by Mitter and Bianchi. They were leading most of the race before a discharging battery caused it to expire in the lead in the last lap. In the same year the car was used as a works spare car in Mugello but it is believed that the car did not race there. The Porsche AG sold the car in 1968 to the private racer Umberto Franchini in Naples, Italy, who entered the car at various Italian races between 1968 and 1972. The history between 1972 and today is fully documented.”
“Today the car is presented in perfect condition throughout. The sports prototype still has its original chassis, gearbox and matching numbers engine fitted. The car and its history is fully documented, including FIA papers and will be sold with many spares, as well as an extremely rare 2.2 litre eight-cylinder engine used in the 910-8, the 904/8 and 907. In view of more and more road races the owner is currently registering the car for road use.”
Sports Car Digest Comments: The asking price for this 910-6 will not be inexpensive, but it buys the new owner a very original car with full documentation, ready-to-race condition, FIA papers and an extensive spares package. This will be accepted with open arms by nearly any vintage racing event, including Le Mans Classic, Monterey Historics and Goodwood Festival of Speed.