The Sunday in the Park Concours was held September 2nd, 2012 at Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, Connecticut. This year’s event, as part of the 2012 Lime Rock Historic Festival, presented more than 650 cars, highlighted by the 240 Concours entrants parked on the front straight. The Car Show and Gathering of the Clubs blanketed the rest of the 1.5 mile circuit.
Local ordinance laws prevent racing at Lime Rock Park on Sunday, therefore Lime Rock fields the Concours and Gathering of the Marques car show each year on that day as part of the Historic Festival.
There were 26 classes at the 2012 Lime Rock Historic Festival Sunday in the Park Concours, representing eras and types from Pre-War to significant cars of interest post-1985. One could have spent the day perusing just the fantastic concours cars, presented from the middle of the Downhill to the entrance to Big Bend. From there, the remaining one mile of Lime Rock’s track was lined with enthusiast automobiles to suit any taste.
The Rolex Best in Show award went to the 1957 Ferrari 335 Sport owned by Peter Sachs of Stamford, Connecticut. Chassis Tipo 520 competed in period through 1959, winning the November 1957 1,000 kilometer Caracas, Venezuela GP piloted by Phil Hill and Peter Collins.
In addition to the Best of Show Ferrari 335 Sport, other notable entrants at the 2012 event included the 1954 Osca MT4 that finished first overall at the 1954 Sebring 12 Hours; 1964 Gordan-Keeble; 1957 Cooper T43; 1959 Maserati T61 Birdcage; 1965 Huffaker Genie Mk 10B; 1978 Lotus T79; 1959 OSCA S187; 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta; 1965 Elva Courier Mk4 T-Type and 1938 Aston Martin 2-Litre Short Chassis; among others.
Similar to the 2010 and 2011 Concours coverage (and the on-track action at the 2012 Lime Rock Historic Festival), photographer Michael DiPleco also documented this year’s Sunday in the Park Concours, offering the following 190 images that highlight the strong field of cars that took part in the annual event. To see more from Michael, visit michaeldipleco.com.
Lime Rock Historic Festival 2012 – Sunday in the Park Concours Photo Gallery
(click image for larger picture and description)
[nggallery id=469 images=15]
Lime Rock Historic Festival 2012 – Sunday in the Park Concours Winners
Rolex Best in Show
1957 Ferrari 335 Sport, Peter Sachs, Stamford, Conn.
Class 1, Out in the Elements, open cars to 1927
1. 1911 Packard 30, Michael, DeAngelis, Stamford, Conn.
2. 1913 American Fiat Type 56, Ed Dina, Marlboro, N.Y.
3. 1923 Duesenberg, Eric Killorin
Class 2, They Don’t Build ‘Em Like They Used To, pre-1927 closed
1. 1925 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, Cooper Botway, Kent, Conn.
2. 1925 Rolls-Royce 20, Matt Moran, Jackson Heights, N.Y.
Class 3, Gatsby’s Delights, special automobiles 1921-1942
1. 1935 Rolls-Royce 20/25, M.S. Koly, Darien, Conn.
2. 1929 Stutz Roadster, John Grunders
3. 1941 Packard 110, Robert Neubert, Amston, Conn.
Class 4, Wheels for All, making the world more accessible, pre-1945
1. 1938 Pontiac Woody Wagon, George Gereg, Bethel, Conn.
2. 1931 Durant Model 612, Bob Hebert, Monterey, Mass.
Class 5, Risky, Racy & Rapid, pre-war competition cars
1. 1935 Riley Special, David Rex, Williamsburg, Va.
2. 1940 Lloyd Rockey Special, Jon Lee, Brunswick, Maine
3. 1909 ALCO 6-Cyl Racer, Howard Kroplick, East Hills, N.Y.
Class 6, Pace with Grace, competition machines of merit
1. 1938 Aston Martin, Trevor Burt
2. 1938 Bugatti, Alden Sherman
3.1930 Aston Martin International, Philip & Rick Rader, Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.
Class 7, Sportsmen’s Standouts, 1943-1957 open
1. 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300SL, Eckart Scheffler, Croton, N.Y.
2. 1954 OSCA Speciale, Robert & Susan Wilder, Stanfordville, N.Y.
3. 1946 Cadiullac 62, Dr. Marcel & Renee Perlman, New Fairfield, Conn.
Class 8, Fancy ‘n’ Fun, open cars 1958-1968
1. 1968 Maserati Mistral, Michael Schwartz, Sharon, Conn.
2. 1967 Ferrari 330 GTS, Cathy Boxstrom, Sharon, Conn.
3. 1966 Chevy Corvair Corsa, David Hill, Bristol, Conn.
Class 9, Environmental Elegance, open cars 1968-1985
1. 1973 Triumph Stag, Donald Jacoby, Manhasset, N.Y.
2. 1970 Mercedes-Benz 380SL, Terry Spaeth, Upper Grandview, N.Y.
3. Mercedes-Benz 380SL, Orrie Simko, Harwinton, Conn.
Class 10, Off to Grandma’s, 1945-1970
1. 1955 Chevy Nomad, Susan North, Millerton, N.Y.
2. 1968 VW Karmann Ghia, Jay Burgess, Rhinebeck, N.Y.
3. 1983 Olds Toronado, Dean Mojon, New Hartford, Conn.
Class 11, Home from Work, 1943-1985
1. 1950 MG YA Saloon, Steve & Abby Neal, Brunswick, Maine
2. 1985 BMW Alpina B7 5-Series, Roy Wicklund, Petersham, Mass.
3. 1983 Volvo 240 GL, David Esteves, Clark, N.J.
Class 12, For Road & Track, sporting machines 1935-1955
1. 1955 MG TF 1500, Alex Jakimenko, Torrington, Conn.
2. 1954 Austin-Healey 100, Bruce & Leslie Silvers, West Hartford, Conn.
3. 1939 MG TB, Jeff Rafalaf, Westport, Conn.
Class 13, Cat-like at 120, Jag’s early post-war wonders
1. 1954 Jaguar XK120, Joe & Ann Trotta, Sharon, Conn.
2. 1954 Jaguar XK120, Andrew Benenson, Darien, Conn.
3. 1953 Jaguar XK120, Bill Scheffler, Westport, Conn.
Class 14, Poised & Powerful, sporting machines with gusto!
1. 1952 Cunningham C3, Charles Schoendorf, Rowayton, Conn.
2. 1953 Allard J2X, Harold Hasse, Newtown, Conn.
3. 1962 Daimler SP250, Steve Busch, Ravena, N.Y.
Class 15, A Sporting Proposition, sports cars 1955-1962
1. 1957 Porsche 1500 GT Carrera Speedster, Jerry Charlup, Stamford, Conn.
2. 1957 Chevy Corvette, Stan Cryz, Dedham, Mass.
3. 1960 Triumph TR3-A, Candy & Harry Bartik, Pattersonville, N.Y.
Class 16, Keep the Shiny Side Up, sports cars 1963-1985
1. 1967 ferrari 330 GTS, Karen & Doug Cushnie, Sherman, Conn.
2. 1969 Jaguar E-Type, John Falco, Sparta, N.J.
3. 1966 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8, Gary Franzi, Harwinton, Conn.
Class 17, Rapid Transit, GT cars 1945-1959
1. 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300SL, Henry Miller, Greenwich, Conn.
2. 1957 Porsche 356 Carrera, Steve Harris, New York, N.Y.
3. 1958 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint,Chris Robins, Rye Brook, N.Y.
Class 18, Businessmen’s Express, GT cars 1960-1969
1. 1962 Ferrari 250 GT, Archie Urciuoli, Casey Key, Fla.
2. 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB Long Nose, Robert & Susan Wilder, Stanfordville, N.Y.
3. 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia SS, Rod Burdick, North Smithfield, R.I.
Class 19, Speed with Style, GT cars 1970-1985
1. 1972 Momo Mirage, Peter Kalikow, New York, N.Y.
2. 1974 BMW 3.0CS, Duane Sword, Charlestown, Mass.
3. 1974 De Tomaso Pantera L, Rob Duquette, Connecticut
Class 20, No Holds Barred, post-war competition cars
1. 1954 Stirling Moss Sebring-winning OSCA, The Collier Collection, Naples, Fla.
2. 1964 Lotus 30
3. 1958 Tojeiro, Wayne Carini, Portland, Conn.
Class 21, Carry Your Weight, commercial, trucks and wagons
1. 1967 Morris Minor Traveller 1000, Jack & Vickie DeLuca, Cos Cob, Conn.
2. 1939 Ford Deluxe Wagon, Skip North, Millerton, N.Y.
3. 1970 International 1300, J. Gavin Donnelly, Ridgefield, Conn.
Class 22, Less is More, motorcycles, trikes and micro cars
1. 1952 Vincent Black Shadow Series C, David Miller, Ridgefield, Conn.
2. 1957 Ducati 125, Bob Machinist, New York, N.Y.
3. 1973 Norton Commando 850, Bob Machinist, New York, N.Y.
Class 23, Torque It Up! Cars with the urge to move you, 1960-1980
1. 1966 Pontiac GTO, Philip Andrew, Jr., Harwinton, Conn.
2. 1971 Chevy Camaro Z28 RS, David Hill, Bristol, Conn.
3. 1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE, Philip Andrew, Jr., Harwinton, Conn.
Class 24, Creative Thinking
1. 1959 Fiat Abarth 750 Record Monza Zagato GT, Mahlon Craft, Norfolk, Conn.
2. 1968 Honda S600 Convertible, Brian Baker, Walden, N.Y.
3. 1980 Citroen Visa Club, Jorge Parente, Bridgewater, N.J.
Octane Magazine Award, editor’s pick
1958 Vanwall Grand Prix, The Collier Collection, Naples, Fla.
A Jaguar to Remember, chosen by Jaguar Cars
1955 Jaguar D-Type, Drake and David Darrin, Greenwich, Conn.
Best Vintage Jaguar, presented by Jaguar Cars N.A.
1952 Jaguar C-Type, Drake and David Darrin, Greenwich, Conn.
Best Collector Presentation
Miles Collier, Naples, Fla.
1955 Mercedes 300SL, Henry Miller, Greenwich, Conn.
Ronald McDonald House Kids’ Choice(Thank you, Chuck Ange, Lime Rock Drivers Club)
1955 Lancia Aurelia B24 Spider America, Jim Steerman, Red Hook, N.Y.
Sunday’s Best That Fell Between the Cracks…gracefully
1955 Austin-Healey 100-4, Hans Abrahams, Stamford, Conn.
1953 Packard 300, Augustus & Marjorie Hampson, Southbury, Conn.
1952 VW Beetle, David & Tracy Haviland, Burlington, Vt.
1957 Porsche 356 Carrera, Steve Harris, New York, N.Y.
Skip’s Sunday Selections
1932 Cadillac Roadster, John Royals (and sons Glenn, JR and Raymond), Torrington, Conn.
1966 Alfa Romeo, Larry Auriana, Stamford, Conn.
1936 Delahaye 135S, David D’Addario, Easton, Conn.