Start of the 1960 Le Mans 24 Hours picture
Start of the 1960 Le Mans 24 Hours (photo credit: Bernard Cahier/

Le Mans Corvette 1960 – Car Profile

The cars were turned over to Briggs’ longtime chief mechanic, Alfred Momo (who had flown in WW I with the poet Gabrielle D’Annunzio when they dropped peace leaflets over Rome) for race preparation. Briggs’ cars were always as well turned-out as Futurama show pieces: no detail was too small, no part left unexamined, nothing left to chance. Years of trying to win Le Mans had left Briggs with a healthy fear of electrical failure. So, as just one example of meticulous preparation, Momo replaced the factory fuel pump with not merely one heavy-duty mechanical pump, but two additional electrical pumps (operated by dashboard switches). The stock tachometer was superseded by a huge Jones-Motrola mechanical tach (with a telltale needle so Briggs could see if any of his drivers exceeded his strict engine rev limits). The dash was painted matte-black so nighttime reflections wouldn’t distract the driver. The puny gas-tank cap was replaced with a massive aircraft fuel-filler and relocated to a cove cut into the middle of the rear window. The unsupportive seats were replaced with snug-fitting bucket seats from a WW II-era DC-3 to prevent the driver from sliding around in the corners. The ignition coil and 12-volt battery were doubled, like pairs of animals on Noah’s Ark (and for the same reason: survival).

The one thing Momo didn’t work his magic on (he was said to be able to increase the power of any motor just by lifting the hood and passing his hands over it) was the engine. Momo had had vast experience not only making engines more powerful, but also longer-lasting, as endurance racing is more about reliability than speed. But Duntov had promised Briggs a truckload of engines race-prepared in GM’s fabled Tech Center, with next year’s fuel-injection system and cylinder heads (aluminum instead of cast-iron, to save precious weight). Momo didn’t take Duntov’s word for it, and disassembled one of the engines to see the modifications for himself. Everything looked good to him…except for one detail. The bearing that held the distributor shaft in place was a plain bushing bearing. Momo wanted to replace it with a more durable needle bearing. Duntov was insulted. “I haf tested on dynamometer twenty-fife hours,” he said in his thick Russian accent (he pronounced Corvette, “Cor-WAAT”). “Not fail.” The stock engines were removed and Duntov’s fully tweaked engines (although with the stock cast-iron cylinder heads) were installed.

Dick Thompson Flying Dentist photo
“The Flying Dentist” Dr. Dick Thompson, circa 1960. (photo credit: General Motors)

Le Mans wasn’t until June, but Cunningham and Momo wanted some race experience beforehand, so they took two of the cars to Sebring in March for the 12-hour race there on the 26th. (The third car was actually present, in street trim—it hadn’t yet been race-prepared—driven by Sports Cars Illustrated’s Steve Wilder from New York and back again after the race). Fortune did not smile on the Cunningham team that day, but they learned a valuable lesson. The #1 car, driven by Briggs and John Fitch, broke a wheel in the Webster Turns, flipped over and was out after only 27 laps (the race was to last another 169 laps). The other car, #2, driven by Corvette specialists Dr. Dick Thompson (“The Flying Dentist”) and good ol’ boy Freddie Windridge, lasted until lap 41 before its engine expired. This engine was sent to Duntov for analysis. The #1 car’s accident had occurred because the jury-rigged wheel hubs hadn’t been strong enough. Momo replaced the front hubs and rear half-shafts with stronger units. The Indy-style Halibrand magnesium wheels were held on by knock-off spinners (instead of lug bolts), so the wheels and tires could be changed faster during pit stops, something else Briggs had learned about endurance racing.

The #2 car’s engine came back from General Motors…rebuilt, but still with a bushing distributor bearing, Momo noticed. Dubious, he and Briggs decided to test the car for 24 hours in a private session at Bridgehampton (a long, willowy race track on the Eastern end of Long Island that bore little resemblance to the circuit in France where the 24-hour race would actually be held). I was visiting a friend nearby when I heard the distinctive thump of an American V8 at racing speeds, so I came over to have a look. The Corvette team experienced various niggling problems, but by and large the test went off without a hitch, with Briggs, fellow car-dealer Bob Grossman and John Fitch sharing the driving.

The organizers of Le Mans held their own test day for all interested parties in April of every year, so what would become the #2 Corvette in the race (the last one bought—the only one that had not raced at Sebring—by now fully race-prepared) was sent over to the famous Sarthe circuit to see what kind of laptimes it could turn…and what problems might crop up. One engine failed (a bent pushrod, it was said), but by-and-large, as at Bridgehampton, things went well. The timing sheets show that Dick Thompson turned respectable laps in the 112-mph range (4 minutes, 28.3 seconds of the 8.36-mile course), with a top speed of 152 mph on the three-and-a-half-mile long Mulsanne straightaway. Things were finally looking good for big, heavy (2,975 lbs.) American iron. The car returned to these shores.

Briggs Cunningham Le Mans Corvettes
Fans flocked to the Team Briggs Cunningham Corvettes (photo credit: General Motors)
Chevrolet Corvette Le Mans 1960 photo
#2 Chevrolet Corvette at Le Mans, 1960 (photo credit: General Motors)

All three cars were sent back to France on the Queen Elizabeth (registered as John Fitch’s “luggage”) and driven from Le Havre to Le Mans under their own steam. They lined up by displacement for the 4 P.M. start on June 25th; the cars with the biggest engines at the front. The Cunningham Corvettes occupied the first three spots. The drivers lined up on the other side of the track, and when the chief steward signaled the start, they dashed across the track, leaped into their cars (hopefully fastening their seatbelts; the ones in Briggs’ cars were fighter-aircraft quality, four inches wide), spun the ignition keys and joined the fray. Duntov had originally been assigned to co-drive the #1 car with Briggs, but wiser heads prevailed (Zora was one of the worst drivers I have ever had the misfortune of being in a car with) and he was replaced by the young Bill Kimberly…who though not untalented proved to be unlucky. After a couple of hours, just after Briggs turned over the car to Kimberly, a light rain started to fall, and Kimberly skidded off the slippery track at a very fast turn called White House and rolled the car over. As it came to rest, flames leaped out from under the hood. With the car seriously on fire, the disappointed driver scrambled out, unhurt, and walked “the longest mile” back to the pits.

Before the start of the 1960 Le Mans 24 Hours race
Gridded by engine displacement, the big-engined Corvettes started at the front of the 1960 Le Mans 24 Hours race. Notice the white (#1), blue (#2) and red (#3) headlight covers. (photo credit: General Motors)

The #2 car, in the hands of the Corvette experts, Thompson and Windridge, had been assigned the role of rabbit; to go as fast as possible, so as to sucker its competitors into trying to keep up, the idea being that the competition would burn itself out in the effort, no matter what happened to the rabbit (which would be sacrificed, if necessary). The #3 car, driven by old hands Fitch and Grossman, would pace itself, so as to be there at the finish, 24 lo-o-o-ong hours later. (The #1 car was basically insurance…or was until its accident). This is classic endurance-racing strategy…and it might have worked, too (the #3 car was as high as fourth in the middle of the night, a third of the way through the race), if…if only….

The #2 car lasted until noon the next day, only four hours from the end. It had been much delayed by a chance encounter with a sandbank (and subsequent repairs to its right front fender), and was in twenty-something place, when the engine let go with a loud bang as Windridge thundered past the pits (the same car had lost an engine in practice). Thompson later admitted to using the engine to slow the car after its brakes had started to fade. All eyes were now on the remaining #3 Fitch/Grossman car. It was holding its own and anticipating a top-ten finish, when it started overheating. Although no one knew it at the time, Alfred Momo had been right: the bushing bearing supporting the distributor shaft was wearing out (as Momo predicted it would), allowing the distributor to advance the spark several degrees, causing the engine to lose power and overheat.

Start of the 1960 Le Mans 24 Hours race picture
Start of the 1960 Le Mans 24 Hours race (photo credit: Bernard Cahier/
1960 Le Mans 24 Hours Briggs Cunningham Corvette
Dick Thompson / Fred Windridge #2 Corvette at Le Mans 24 Hours, 1960 (photo credit: General Motors)

Without tearing the engine apart, nobody could analyze the problem (it was initially reported as a blown head gasket…and compounded when a mechanic recklessly unscrewed the red-hot radiator cap), so the best they could do was add more water to the radiator when it boiled off as steam. The problem was that the rules of the race said you could only add water (or oil; the #2 car may have run out of the latter) every 25 laps. But the #3 car would start to overheat after only a few laps. What to do? Legend has it that Briggs, who had both a deep distrust of French cuisine and a love of ice cream, had parked a refrigerated ice cream truck behind the pits (along with 27 tons of spare parts and equipment) full of his favorite flavors. That much is true. In the fairytale version, Momo is seized by a beautiful vision, and starts packing ice cream around the engine every ten laps or so, and the #3 car charges back into the race dripping chocolate, vanilla, and (Briggs’ favorite) strawberry.

The truth is somewhat more mundane, but no less ingenious. Momo packed the dry ice from the ice cream truck into the engine compartment (the rules said no fluids), which would then last until they could legally add water to the radiator. To combat overheating, they slowed the car way down, but it had to maintain a minimum average speed or be disqualified. Lap times stretched threefold, to almost 15 minutes per lap. Somehow, Fitch and Grossman kept the #3 car alive and still in eighth place to the finish, albeit 285 miles (33 laps) behind the winning Ferrari. Not a very glorious end.

So, after ten years of trying, Briggs was back where he started: a massive effort ending in a mediocre result. Disgusted with Chevrolet (he would never race a GM car again, although he stayed very much in racing for years thereafter; he died in 2003 in his nineties), Briggs gave the three race-weary Corvettes to his old friend Bill Frick (who had built the hot-rod Briggs had tried to enter in 1949) for disposal. The remains of the #1 car, minus its charred fiberglass body, were said to have ended up in Florida with a Devin fiberglass replacement body, its provenance lost in the sands of time. The disappointing Duntov-prepared engines went back to GM and the original engines (which had come with the cars) were reinstalled (although Frick didn’t bother to reunite the correct engines with their original chassis). The #2 car was sold to a guy who worked for the National Zinc Company in New Jersey. The number #3 car went through seven oblivious owners before winding up in the hands of one Chip Miller, a certified car nut and the impresario of a Corvette swap meet in Carlisle, Pennsylvania (although “swap meet” doesn’t do it justice; it covers hundreds of acres, features thousands of vendors and tens of thousands of visitors each year). The #2 car also wound up at this gathering of the Corvette faithful in Carlisle, but that’s later in this saga of paradise found, paradise lost and paradise regained.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Show Comments (27)

Your email address will not be published.

  1. Kudos to Smith. Alternative title could be “Cars I Have regretted Selling. Although certainly not on a grand scale like the Corvette, my list of regrettable sales includes a ’64 Corvair Spyder whose demise was ensured by Ralph Nader who stopped the progress of US small cars in it’s tracks and who later allowed another American disaster named Bush, a ’65 Mini Cooper S, and a 1986 Porsche 930.
    I often wonder who’s loving them, now?

    1. Sam, You may(?) know a little bit about cars and perhaps just stick to them as your comment about Bush is way off the mark. I can think of 16 billion reasons not to like whats happening now to our country. Hope I can afford to keep the classics that I now have. Bill

  2. Indeed, kudos to Smith. What a great read that brings up so many memories of cars missed. My most painful miss was the Aston Martin DB4 GT offered in the high teens somewhere around 1980.

  3. Best “one that got away”story. Mine was 908 that a dentist would trade me for my 912. Mine was street legal.his was broken motor. I passed as I needed a ride to work more than a race car. Stupid life.

  4. Steve:
    Great story! It’s always amazing how so many of our famous racers were somehow connected as they plied their trade. The Corvette was a common thread for many, including you as well. How cool is that?

    It must have been quite an experience working at R&T. I read R&T from cover to cover as a kid when you were working there. Great mag then.

    Speaking of R&T, I used to read and follow with interest the several articles about the Cyclops car, a whimsical beast, to say the least. Lo and behold, Cyclops II appeared at this year’s Amelia! Apparently its concept had bit others with the same bug. What a treat to ‘discover’ that again!

    Best to you,

  5. Steve: As Paul Harvey would say, “Now you know the rest of the story”. A great read. All of us gear heads have the had it and lost it stories…….the car I miss most was the ex-Hulme Brabham BT-8 I bought out of a South Carolina junk yard for $ 2,900. C’est la vie.

  6. Having two friends distract the gendarmes then leaping over a wall and an earthen dike, I ended up in the Cunningham pits at around 10 am at LeMans in 1960. Took a series of color photos with my Leica M-2 of the Corvettes and then on down the line. It’s about time I get my act together and scan these onto a CD. Regards, Steve Snyder

  7. Mr. Smith,

    Nicely done. I’ve no doubt grandpa is smiling after reading this compelling story and seeing the images of his beauties fully restored. If you’re ever in the Philadelphia area, visit the Simeone Automotive Museum; they have the Cunningham C4R that won at Sebring, and it still runs like a “beast”. Best regards,


  8. Mr. Smith
    Congrats on your article, very interesting to me and I’m sure many others. I wonder if I might offer a correction, which if I’m wrong I will apologize now. I believe that the vehicle that Briggs Cunningham bought from Bill Frick was a “Fordillac” It was taken to LeMans as a support vehicle, I believe.
    Once again, many congrats.


  9. Dear Mr. Smith,

    Thank you for a wonderful story. And not to worry about the kids – the best part of it is that they’ll come around…

    Once again a great story and thanks to SCD for putting it forward.

    Looking forward to the next one,


  10. A nice article, thank you for the insight……. A couple of things 10 times $6,000 is only $60,000 I would very much like to buy a Lusso for that amount. Also, the Cunningham money did not come from the meat packing business…….
    Brigg’s Dad was an early investor in P&G.
    One of my favorite days was when I went to the Cunningham museum in Costa Mesa…. John Burgess and I started talking and in about 10 minutes I realized that about an hour and a half had gone by. That man new his cars.

  11. Great, detailed account by Steve Smith of an amazing saga for Corvette’s first racing event at Le Mans. Steve and part of his story have a role in ‘THE QUEST’, which I wrote & produced and which Steve graciously mentioned in his article. This compelling story is summarized in the film, using archival footage, some of which has never seen before.

    A great recollection.

  12. A few comments about my “$2,000” D-Type: I was dropping off a Sadler Formula Junior at Donald Fong’s shop in Atlanta, Ga. when I noticed this D-Type with a damaged right front body being examined by a man taking notes. This insurance adjuster had written the car off as totaled and sold it to me on the spot for $400. It turns out that the “bent chassis” was only the bent front superstructure for the body supports. It wasn’t long before my body fabricator, Mike Saggars and I had a new body corner and repaired superstructure installed.

    Since it was illegal at the time to import a used automobile into Canada, I logged the car in as “under repair”. After a season of fun racing with the car , I had to get rid of it back into the USA. I figured $2,000 was a fair price for the car since our repair costs were only a few hundred dollars. While I can’t remember who bought the car, I was sold rather quickly.

    A current update: I bumped into Mike Saggars at Silverstone in 2008 after we had lost track of each other for more than 50 years. By a sheer stoke of fate we found out that our same D-Type was at this race. Mike and I visited the car and with it’s current owner – who knew our entire story about his car. And yes, it is currently a muli-million dollar car!

  13. I’m old enough to say I enjoyed reading Steve’s work in both Road & Track and with Brock Yates in Car & Driver back “in the day”. This was such a great article that I posted it on Twitter. I, too have several “woulda, coulda, shoulda” scenarios. First was a 1966 Hertz Shelby GT 350H which I bought in 1969 for $2700 from a Mercury dealer. It was an awesome street car…I used to “eat Corvette’s for lunch”. I kept it for 3 years and sold it for a 1969 Porsche 911L which I then had upgraded with a RS engine swap. When last I saw, on a Barret-Jackson Auction TV show, the GT 350H’s were going for around $200,000……. Second was a 1959 Ferrari 250 GT Coupe which was the personal driver of the head mechanic at Beverly Hills Ferrari. It was in impeccable shape, Ferrari red with valve covers that were so clean you could almost shave off their reflection. The price in 1980 was $15,000. I kept it for 1 day and then panicked….I realized, as was mentioned in the story and a Comment above, that this car would be a very, very risky “daily driver”….especially if and when it came to the inevitable repair and replacement parts bills. So I brought it back to the dealer, got my money back and bought a (Grey Market) 1972 BMW 3.0 CSI coupe with Euro specs and wood dash for $15,000. Great touring car and a wife pleaser……. Ah, but what is that Ferrari worth now!

  14. Steve-

    Awesome article, many thanks for taking the time to sit down and document it for everyone to enjoy. I was honored to fulfill my father’s dream of taking the #3 Cunningham Corvette back to Le Mans 50 years later with John Fitch at the wheel! Life certainly throws us all curve balls and I’m thankful I was able to enjoy the ride with Mr. Fitch – it’s a moment I’ll never forget. The ‘Quest’ certainly captured every moment, if anyone is interested in watching the film check out the website: Michael Brown and his team did an amazing job at capturing our adventures and sharing the story of each car that raced at Le Mans in 1960. Again, Steve – thank you!

    Much respect,

    Lance Miller

  15. Thank you, one and all, for your kind comments on this story.

    @ Paul in Florida: I’ve no idea where the #1 car was last seen in Florida. You might ask Kevin Mackay:

    @ Ronald Sieber & Jeffry Martini: Point of order. The Bonds, John & Elaine (who owned Road & Track) wanted to hire to as the Editor of Competition Press after they bought it from my mentor, Denise McCluggage, but I insisted on finishing college, so they hired Jim Crow. When I graduated, they hired me anyway, and having just bought the execrable Car Life, they set me to work on that. I got to write stories for R&T (road tests of offal like the Humber Super Snipe and a flurry of race reports) but never got on the masthead. Somebody built a Cyclops (originally envisioned as a cartoon by the great Stan Mott) years ago that graced the offices of R&T in the Costa Mesa office where I worked.

    @ steve snyder: I’d *love* to see your pics of the 1960 Le Mans. If SCD doesn’t publish them, please email copies to me.

    @ Briggs Cunningham: Thanks; I was a great admirer of your grandfather and spent as much time in his pits as he (and Alfred Momo) would allow. He was extraordinarily generous in sharing his experiences (and artifacts) of Le Mans 1960 with me after I bought the #2 car..

    @ Damon Crumb & David Randall: I stand corrected.

    1. Loved the Cyclops stories. “You can’t win a rally if you finish ? Minutes late; you also can’t win when you finish ? Hours early.

  16. Steve, that is a GREAT story!

    It especially resonates with me because I have recently enjoyed my own “boy meets, loses, and regains car” experience, with the first ’62 Ferrari 250 GTO, s/n 3223 GT. You can read the whole story by Alan Boe in the current issue of Cavallino, #188.

    I’m sure you pine a little, as I do, for the occasional opportunity to snuggle up to your old “lover” a little. But it’s a sweet yearning, because you have the great memories and the relatively pain-free intervening years which, had you kept the car, would surely have not been so easy!!!

    Thanks again for the super story, and for recalling all those great names in early American motorsport, when we were “boys”.


  17. Two other factoids, minor and major:

    1. It wasn’t dry ice the Cunningham mechanics packed in around the engine, it was plain old H2O-based ice, as may plainly be seen in this documentary:

    2. In this self-serving General Motors puff piece, Dick Thompson makes repeated references to the “excellent” brakes. WTF? The brakes started to fade dramatically after the rain stopped. Thompson repeatedly had to slow the car with the engine (months later, when I got the car, the tach’s tell-tale was still stuck way above what Cunningham had specified as the absolute red-line). The over-revving was what caused the engine to blow with a mighty “bang” just as Thompson’s co-driver, Fred Windridge, was passing the pits with about 4 hours to go. Still, nice to see the old “Detroit iron” banging around the Sarthe.

  18. Never say never. The #1 Car from the 1960 Cunningham team has been found! Long thought lost in the mists of time, Kevin Mackay has been searching for it for 19 years, diligently running VIN checks, chasing dead-end leads and staying in touch with his vast army of spotters. The car had last been registered in Florida in 1974, but when Mackay went down there for a look-see, there wasn’t a trace.

    What happened was, the guy who owned it all these years was as much a pack rat as a fastidious collector. When he died a few years ago, his son inherited not one but two 35,000 sq. ft. warehouses, jammed with enough automobilia fill Charles Foster Kane’s Xanadu. So, it wasn’t exactly a “barn find.”

    After a year of digging, the son unearthed the remains of the #1 car, modified almost beyond recognition. Someone had added enough fiberglass to make it look like a Devin-bodied car, but underneath all the Bondo bling, there was the original, mostly intact, even down to the original body (which had been singed at Le Mans).

    Curious, he called Larry Berman, the automotive historian who runs the eponymous Cunningham website. Berman in turn directed the guy (whose name won’t be revealed until the car is presented to the Corvette cognoscenti at the “Corvettes at Castile” event later this month) to Kevin Mackay, who did such a magnificent job restoring the #3 Corvette for Chip Miller and his son Lance.

    I called Kevin earlier today, who was looking at the #1 car as we spoke. He vouches for its authenticity (as he did with the #3 car when it was “autopsied” after Chip Miller bought it years ago). Kevin will be at the gathering of the Corvette faithful at the Carlisle, PA, fairgrounds this coming August 24-26, along with the (as yet) unrestored #1 Corvette. I hope to be there, too. Y’all come on down!

  19. My brother was Mike Pillsbury, the restorer of #2. To say the least, the restoration was his love, his passion, his life. His family and friends were very privileged to watch a man who got to live his dream. He could name any part of any Corvette not only by sight, but also by feel. I am so glad he got to see his dream realized. It brought a twinkle to his impish eyes! There is a picture of him posing with his #2 on the cover of The Corvette Restorer Magazine Volume #24, Spring 1996. Kudos to you brother! Love, Katie

    1. @ Katie,

      I worked with your brother for the better part of a decade helping him restore the #2 car. I was amazed at his diligence, knowledge and enthusiasm. I was astonished that he even found me, so many years after I had owned the car (he had the gumption to coax my whereabouts out of Road and Track, where I’d placed an ad for the car 20 years before).

      I unearthed a lot of new information about the car after Mike pestered me to get in touch with my old friend Briggs Cunningham, but on his own he amassed more than I ever could have collected. He was always eager to talk to anybody who had ever had anything to do with the car, and also managed to accumulate an astonishing pile of relevant bits and pieces.

      Now that the #1 car has been re-discovered and the Cunningham team is once again complete, I think every fan of the effort at Le Mans in 1960 owes Mike a debt of gratitude for having been the first to track down one of the original cars and restore it to its former glory.

      –Steve Smith

      1. Yes, I wish he was alive to have seen all 4 Corvettes. He was always on the road, searching for that “rare” Corvette or Corvette part. It was his passion. Very few people actually get to live their dreams like he did. Katie Pillsbury Skelton

  20. I don’t get it , these 1960 Corvettes never won, why all the hoopla? A poor showing for GM and America far as I’m concerned… Not much different today, Corvettes have NEVER won like the GT 40s….

  21. My “woulda, coulda, and shouldas”….Second place Sebring Porsche RS60 for $ 13,500 (1979), an Abarth Carrera (1976) $2,200. However, my successes, ex-D. Hulme Tourist Trophy winning Brabham BT-8 ($2,900 in 1976 from a SC junkyard) , the Lang Cooper ( $ 6,900…same junkyard), and the 1934 Ford Model 40 Special Speedster (Edsel Ford’s car). You win a few and you lose a few. Just don’t look back.

  22. I have a ‘one I shouldda bought’ story. In the mid sixties I was living in Auckland New Zealand, I would buy a car keep it about a year then sell and buy something else which you coud do without loosing money in those days due to to the New Zealand restrictions on importing cars creating a price situation that I have never encountered since! I saw this beautiful two door coupe on a car lot that at first I thought was a Lancia Aurilia body by Touring but on closer inspection saw that it had a Jaguar engine and running gear and the body was fibreglass. It was a stunning looking car and I went back to look at it several times, the dealer didn’t know much about it and in the end I passed on it. Price wise it would have been affordable for me as around the 500 pounds (about $1000) was my limit. Several years later I discovered that Bernie Ecclestone now owned this car as it was the original Ferrari F1 chassis that had won the 1951 British Grand Prix driven by Froilin Gonzales – it was Ferrari’s first F1 victory. The car had been brought to New Zealand, raced for a year or so then verious mods had been done with the engine finishing up in a boat the body discarded and the chassis sold to renown New Zealand car guy Ferris De Joux who had designed the beautiful GT body and fitted the Jaguar engine etc. Later, after I saw the car someone reunited the chassis and engine and sold it to Bernie where it remains in his collection (I believe) and must be worth several millions of $$$ .Yes I cry everytime I think of it. From Wikipedia…
    De Joux bought the Ferrari 375 that José Froilán González drove and won the 1951 British Grand Prix at Silverstone from New Zealand racing driver Ron Roycroft. He converted it into a Gran Turismo that looked like a genuine factory built Ferrari road car. It was an exquisitely proportioned car used by de Joux daily for the next four and a half years until he sold it. The car was restored back to a single seater by a Christchurch classic car enthusiast and is now owned by Bernie Ecclestone.