The Lancia D24 was the dominant sports racing car of the mid-1950s and was driven by some of the greatest drivers in the history of road racing. It was, ironically, the last great sports racing car built by Lancia before their star-crossed entry into the world of Formula One with the revolutionary D50.
The D24 debuted in 1953 at the Nürburgring, where two cars did not finish. However, Fangio won the ‘53 Carrera Panamericana in a D24, followed in ‘54 by wins in the Targa Florio, the Tourist Trophy (with Taruffi at the wheel) and capped off by Alberto Ascari’s win in the 1954 Mille Miglia. By 1955, Ascari would be gone and Lancia would have turned over the D50’s to Ferrari. Lancia kept the sports cars and eventually scrapped everything but the engines. As far as we know, only one authentic D24 remains in existence although several recreations have been built using original components.