In 1896, in Suresnes a western suburb of Paris, Alexandre Darracq started his business, A Darracg & Cie. His business was building road and racecars. Darracq would go on to become famous for the success of his racecars.
But by 1912, Darracq had sold off what remained of his business. In 1913 Darracq retired after years of difficulty that almost bankrupted the company. In 1916, ownership of the company was transferred to Darracq S.A. Then, in 1922, the Darracq name was dropped and the business was renamed Talbot S.A. Under this new guise, road going cars bore the name Talbot, while competition cars still carried the name Talbot-Darracq.