RM Auctions will offer at no reserve the Charlie Thomas Collection on October 20th, 2012 at the Gaylord Texan near Dallas, Texas.
The product of two decades of acquisition by Texas businessman, life-long auto enthusiast and former owner of the Houston Rockets basketball team, Charlie Thomas, the “Texas-sized” collection features 175 collector cars and spans the spectrum of the collector car market from early flatheads to ’50s convertibles and ’60s muscle and sports cars.
“RM Auctions is honored and delighted to have been chosen to assist Charlie Thomas with the dispersal of his collection,” says Gord Duff, Car Specialist, RM Auctions. “With a great eye for correct, quality examples of American iron from the pre-war and post-war periods, his collection truly has something for everyone, and he’s taken great pride in regularly exercising these cars to ensure they run and drive beautifully.”
Among highlights of the Charlie Thomas Collection are a series of more than 80 Fords, including multiple Shelbys, and more than 40 Chevrolets, joined by numerous examples from other American marques, including Cadillac, Chrysler, Packard, and Oldsmobile, among others. All lots are offered without reserve.
Reflecting Charlie Thomas’ life-long affinity for the Blue Oval, the sale will feature more than 80 Fords. Highlights include:
Additional notable Fords on offer include:
• 1940 Ford DeLuxe Convertible Coupe with many notable features including amber Ford fog lamps, a spotlight, and a factory radio and clock (est. $60,000 – $80,000); and
• 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 Fastback boasting just 5,400 original miles ($75,000 – $100,000).
Chevrolets are also prominently featured in the Charlie Thomas Collection with more than 40 slated to cross the auction podium. Highlights include:
Other Chevrolet highlights:
• 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Convertible, equipped with power windows and convertible top along with a Wonderbar radio (est. $85,000 – $100,000);
• 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Convertible presented in nearly new condition and with fewer than 1,000 miles since restoration (Estimate: $85,000–$100,000);
• 1958 Chevrolet Half-Ton Cameo Carrier Pickup Truck (Estimate: $45,000–$60,000); and
• 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air Nomad Station Wagon considered among the best of its kind (est. $60,000 – $80,000).
Additional notable entries from the Charlie Thomas Collection include:
• Pair of 1968 Shelby Mustang GT500s led by a well-optioned 1968 Shelby Mustang GT500 Convertible with tilt-pop steering and a 1968 Shelby Mustang GT500 KR Fastback with Cobra-Jet engine (est. $140,000 – $180,000 / $100,000 – $130,000);
• 1946 Chrysler Town & Country Roadster created from period designs of a planned automobile (est. $12500,000 – $175,000);
• 1958 Lincoln Continential Mark II Convertible, restored to 100-point concours condition (est. $80,000 – $120,000); and
• One of few known surviving 1951 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Convertibles, a cherished member of the Charlie Thomas Collection for more than a decade (est. $60,000 – $80,000).
In addition to the above automotive highlights, the sale will lift the gavel on a 1952 Willys Military Jeep, with 100% of proceeds benefiting the Brookwood Community, a non-profit residential facility and vocational program in Brookshire, Texas supporting adults with disabilities. The Jeep benefits from an excellent restoration and is presented in proper Army Olive Drab Green. Delivery of the vehicle will be handled free of charge to anywhere in the Continental U.S.A., courtesy of Reliable Carriers (Estimate: $30,000–$40,000).
RM Auctions Charlie Thomas Collection 2012 – Additional Information
Dates and Times
Friday, October 19, 2012 – preview runs 10 a.m. CDT – 6 p.m. CDT
Saturday, October 20, 2012 – preview opens 8 a.m. CDT, auction commences 10 a.m. CDT
Gaylord Texan on Lake Grapevine, Longhorn Hall, 1501 Gaylord Trail, Grapevine, Texas, 76051
Bidder registration is $150 and includes an official auction catalogue and admission for two to preview, reception, and auction. The purchase of a catalogue for $80 admits two to the preview and auction and individual guest passes to the preview and auction are available for $20.
For additional information, visit rmauctions.com or call toll free 1 800 211 4371 (within North America) or +1 519 352 4575 (outside North America). Preferred accommodation rates at the Gaylord Texan are available by contacting RM Auctions’ Client Services Department.