The Mecum Auctions Chicago 2014 sale was held October 9-11 at the Schaumburg Convention Center in Illinois, resulting in $15,267,644 in total sales and a 62% sell-through rate. More than 15,000 spectators enjoyed the varied selection of muscle cars that stole the spotlight at this year’s auction.
A total of 936 vehicles were offered at Mecum Auctions’ 2014 Chicago collector car auction. Muscle cars and Ford GTs dominated the top sales, with a 2006 Heritage Edition topping the charts at $475,000. One of 343 produced, this Heritage Edition only has 182 miles on the odometer.
Following close behind in top sales were two more Ford GTs including a 2006 (Lot S147.1) with just 300 miles that hammered at $335,000 and a 2005 (Lot S162) with just 382 miles that hammered at $300,000. The ’06 is serial number 12 of just 2,011 built and features Mark II Black paint and Silver Le Mans striping with an Ebony leather interior. The ’05 is a rare Le Mans stripe-delete version finished in Mark IV Red with a Black interior and was offered with transport stickers still intact. Fourth in top sales was a Black Jade 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot S132) formerly from the collection of past Major League Baseball player John Smiley that brought a top bid of $200,000.
Mecum Chicago 2014 – Top Ten Auction Results (all sales reflect hammer prices):
1. 2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition (Lot S125.1) – $475,000
2. 2006 Ford GT (Lot S147.1) – $335,000
3. 2005 Ford GT (Lot S162) – $300,000
4. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot S132) – $200,000
5. 1970 Plymouth Hemi ’Cuda (Lot S110.1) – $185,000
6. 1969 Dodge Hemi Super Bee (Lot S121) – $127,500
7. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S152) – $110,000
8. 2012 Chevrolet COPO Camaro (Lot S149) – $105,000
9. 1958 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S144) – $100,000
10. 1987 Buick GNX (Lot S155) – $97,500
For complete auction results, visit Mecum.com.
Mecum’s next 2014 auction will be in Anaheim, California, November 13-15 with an anticipated 750 cars to be offered at the Anaheim Convention Center. December brings Mecum’s Kansas City, Missouri, auction the 4th through the 6th and the company’s newest event in Austin, Texas, set for December 12-13 at the Austin Convention Center.
For more details on an upcoming auction, visit Mecum.com or call (262) 275-5050.