Mecum Auction held its Kansas City Auction on December 4-5, 2009, at Kansas City Convention Center/Bartle Hall, with total gross sales (excluding buyer’s premium) of $6.8 million.
“Our Kansas City Auction continues to boast significant increases year after year in both sales and attendance, and this year was no exception as we offered nearly 500 classic, muscle and collector cars to enthusiastic bidders,” said President Dana Mecum. “Bidder numbers were very high and we finished the weekend with an impressive 68% sell-through rate. The new venue at Bartle Hall was a fantastic move for the Mecum Auction team as well.”
Kansas City Convention Center/Bartle Hall is the largest multifaceted structure in Kansas City, Mo., that is dedicated to sports and entertainment events and features more than 388,000 square feet of exhibit space on one floor and an arena seating more than 10,000 people.
A 1968 Shelby GT500 KR Convertible 428 Cobra Jet (Lot S105.1) selling for $185,000 took the top spot at Mecum’s Kansas City Auction. The Rotisserie-restored, 24,000-mile car was originally ordered as a Ford executive car and is one of only 33 KR convertibles with air conditioning and 4-speed.
The complete list of Mecum’s Top 10 Sales from the Kansas City Auction (all sales figures reflect hammer prices) is:
1. 1968 Shelby GT500 KR Convertible (Lot S105.1) at $185,000
2. 1970 Plymouth Superbird Coupe (Lot S68) at $128,000
3. 2009 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S91.1) at $125,000
4. 1964 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (Lot S146) at $81,000
5. 2009 Chevrolet Corvette CSR Coupe (Lot S84.1) at $69,000
6. 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot S95) at $68,000
7. 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 Fastback (Lot S61) at $66,500
8. 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air (Lot S177) at $61,000
9. 1933 Ford Coast to Coast Roadster (Lot S99.1) at $57,000
10. 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle SS Coupe (Lot S53) at $53,000
Complete auction results are available www.Mecum.com.
Mecum’s next auction takes place January 28-31, 2010, at Osceola Heritage Park in Kissimmee, Fla. Featuring more than 850 cars, the Kissimmee Auction will be broadcast live on Mecum’s television series, “Mecum Auto Auction: Muscle Cars & More” on HD Theater. Tickets are available at the door for $10.