Mecum Auctions held their 2nd annual Houston sale on April 4-6, 2013 at the Reliant Center in Houston, Texas, resulting in total sales exceeding $20 million and a 72% sell-through rate. Mecum offered more than 1,000 vehicles during the three-day auction, in addition to nearly 200 pieces of Road Art and memorabilia.
Nearly all Mecum sales offer an attractive mix of muscle cars, classics, hot rods and the Houston auction was no different, with 740 cars exchanging hands and ‘something for everyone’. The top auction result went to the 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback, complete with its original drivetrain and interior, that hammered sold for $220,000. The local-to-Texas restoration is a low-mile and documented example, one of only 499 built and a one-owner vehicle for the past 20 years.
Bringing a $185,000 sale and grabbing the second seat on the top 10 sales list was a 1931 Cadillac V-12 Roadster, complete with accessory trunk and rumble seat complementing its vintage flair.
Mecum Houston 2013 – Top Ten Auction Results (all sales reflect hammer prices):
1. 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot S134) – $220,000
2. 1931 Cadillac V-12 Roadster (Lot S159.1) – $185,000
3. 1954 Buick Skylark (Lot S130) – $140,000
4. 1959 Chevrolet Corvette Resto Mod (Lot S227) – $135,000
5. 2009 Dodge Challenger (Lot S258) – $130,000
6. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (Lot F190) – $125,000
7. 1972 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS (Lot S254) – $125,000
8. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe (Lot F233) – $122,000
9. 1958 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (Lot F203) – $107,500
10. 1970 Plymouth Superbird (Lot S251) – $107,000
As more than 1,000 cars crossed the block in Houston, nearly 200 tractors simultaneously went under the hammer at the Spring Gone Farmin’ Vintage Tractor Auction in Davenport, Iowa, April 5-6 achieving a 98 percent sell-through rate. Full results for the tractor auction are also available at Mecum.com.
The next 2013 Mecum event will be held in Kansas City, Missouri, April 25-27 followed by Dana Mecum’s 26th Original Spring Classic this May 14-19 in Indianapolis. To consign a vehicle or to pre-register to bid at one of Mecum Auctions’ upcoming events, visit Mecum.com or call (262) 275-5050.
[Source: Mecum; photo: Sam Murtaugh, courtesy of Mecum Auctions]